Wednesday 25 September 2013

Koala Season Is Here!

Spring has most definantly sprung here! Wild flowers are in full bloom, birds nesting (and swooping!), longer warmer days, koalas in our trees, on the roads and with young, oh life is good!

It makes me feel humbled to live amongst a thriving community of koalas knowing that these gorgeous creatures are endangered, and rarer in other parts of Australia.
I get upset when I see trees being cut down to make way for new homes in the local area. I worry that we are taking the homes of indigenous wildlife and the precious fresh eucalyptus tips which our koalas love very much.
So, to feel better about a situation I have no control of, I have started to plant eucalyptus seedlings. I have been relocating random seedlings  that have sprouted in random areas like between our pavers, amongst the veggie patch, near drains etc. to their own pots to give them a fighting chance to be big beautiful trees that will one day be home for the future generations of koalas.

"The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago. The second best time is now.”


Here is a big koala I came across 100m from our house, I had to usher him to safety from the road, then I got to take a cute video of him getting comfy in a tree, enjoy x



No comments:

Post a Comment